USA FIT Albany members are just like you. Most get involved because they know it’s time to finally get in shape, and for many, that means doing something really different in their lives. They know they have to challenge themselves to step beyond the status quo, because without some accountability and guidance, their efforts might fall flat. Some of our participants are new to running, while others have been doing this for quite some time. But no matter what the individual stories, all share one goal: to get fit and have fun doing it.
Running Programs (Yellow, Red, Blue/Green, and Half Marathon groups):
USA FIT Albany’s runners form the backbone of our membership. Whether preparing for the full or the half marathon distance, runners all receive weekly educational seminars, a schedule specifically designed for their ability level, an online support forum, and more.
At the start of each season, trainees will participate in time trials to determine the placement that best matches their ability. All participants will run two-three miles the first week, and we’ll advance up to 21 miles (full marathon) or 12 miles (half marathon) by the 20th week of training. All long runs (and occasional speed work) will be done alongside members of your pace group, so no one trains alone.
The program’s general format is as follows:
- Before each Saturday run, members will come together for the week’s announcements and to hear an educational seminar on key training topics designed to prepare runners for the rigors of this endurance sport.
- Members participate in an organized training run each Saturday morning with runners of similar training paces. Each pace group is designated by a color: Blue/Green, Yellow, Red, Half Marathon or Team Fit.
- Weekend runs will be followed by a brief discussion about the day’s workout and instructions for the coming week.
- Members adhere to a schedule of mid-week training runs. Those runs are built with busy lifestyles in mind, so they keep members moving toward their goals while requiring only a moderate amount of time on the road.
- Weekly speed training sessions may be available once the group has built a sufficient training base to handle it safely and comfortably.
Walking Program (Purple group)
Please note, we are not offering a walking program this year.